Thursday, February 3, 2011

In the Navy...

This blog title is brought to you courtesy of my sister Anna and the Village People. When I was putting together dining room pictures for the blog, Anna started singing "In the Navy"and it has been stuck in my head since yesterday. Why, you ask, does my dining room remind Anna of a Village People song? Because it's navy!

I honestly don't know where I got the idea to paint our dining room navy. I think my obsession with the color started when we began planning the wedding. Our main wedding color is, you guessed it, navy! It just goes with so many other colors like silver, yellow, red, green, etc.

From day one of seeing the house, I knew I wanted our first big project (besides painting) to be the dining room. In my own words, I wanted "really tall molding with squares and the crown stuff on top of the molding and the walls to be navy"...if you can't tell, I use really technical decorating terms.

Luckily, I'm engaged to an extremely talented guy who knows how to put up "really tall molding". It really is awesome to have such a handy future husband. Throughout college, Andrew and several of his friends worked for a friend who owned a small business doing tile and remodeling. I always tell Andrew that he and his friends should flip houses (when the market comes back, of course) because between all of them they can tile, put in hardwood floors, plumbing, electrical, etc. It took Andrew and his friend Brandon a few days, but they did an amazing job with the molding and it's exactly what I had pictured in my head.

Before I post the before and after pictures, I want to show you the paint we used. I took the after pictures in the evening and we have a crappy light fixture in there that gives off zero light so the pictures are a little dark. The paint looks black in some of the pictures, but I promise it's not...it's navy!

We picked a Martha Stewart color, but the Behr paint was cheaper so the nice people at Home Depot color matched and we were able to get Behr.

Here are the Before pictures:




And now for the After pictures:


It seriously looks like a different room!! Thanks Andrew and Brandon for all the hard work! :)

I'm using my grandmother's old dining room table and recovering the chairs. We also recently bought a new silver chandelier so we'll have more light. The room is slowly but surely coming together. I'll post more pictures once we get the chandelier hung and the chairs recovered.

I hope everyone is having a great Thursday! The weekend is almost here!







4 comments:

  1. Ivey, it looks amazing!! I love the blue and the white molding. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becca! :)

    And Anna you're welcome for the mention. I couldn't come up with blog titles without you!

    ReplyDelete